13 February 2018

Transformations

A Lenten reflection by the Sister Sacristan of St Francis Convent, Hankinson, ND, of the Franciscan Sisters of Dillingen.

From Our Franciscan Fiat

Lent is almost upon us!  It is a time of conversion, a time of sacrifice, a time for growth.  Might we even say: a time for transformation?
As a sacristan, the days leading up to Lent are a time of transformation on a physical, tangible level.  I have to prepare our chapel for this beautiful, grace-filled season in which our hearts are to be prepared for Easter.
One transformation which takes place is burning of last year’s palms to make ashes for tomorrow’s observance.  Suffice it to say that yesterday morning this process involved complications that I am not eager to repeat.  (The 1968 hit song “Ring of Fire” was sung in my honor by one of my co-workers.)  Lent is a good time to grow in humility, so I guess I got a jump start.
I also just got done taking the poinsettias out of chapel.  They are still there from Christmas.  (Maybe, we can save one or two white ones for St. Joseph’s Day.)
Another change inherent in the beginning of Lent here is the changing of missalettes.  New ones start tomorrow.  Before Mass I had to find and bring out the boxes of new missalettes to be distributed.
Furthermore, the altar cloths will have to be changed to violet.  As I put away the green chalice veil after Mass this morning, I commented to Father that we won’t be needing this until May or June.
Our large violet altar cloth is currently hanging over the table in the little private dining room (which is not used that much).  It is my hope the wrinkles will be diminished by this which will minimize the needed ironing.
Amidst these exteriors, I am praying for the grace to make a good Lent and for guidance to know what I should do to expedite the transformation process.  Like last year’s palms and our chapel, I pray that I may be transformed more and more into what God wants me to be.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I am sacristan at St. Anne's Guest Home in Grand Forks, ND. Hankinson is where our provincial house is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.